Last of the exam basics
We started this class with my favorite warm up. We we told to start at the first kata we know and continue until we did every kata we know. I started with Ttaikyoku Shodan, all the Heian katas, Tekki Shodan, Jion, Bassai Dai, Kanku Dai, Hangetsu, Empi and Gojushiho Sho for me. I also started doing Sochin but forgot it for some reason.
I am not sure how good or bad all these katas look when we do them but I certainly feel that they do to improve as we warm up. It feels like I am doing the first three or four katas in sand but they start to move better and my stances feel lower as I go up the line.
Last of the exam basics…
With testing coming to an end, we started moving forward and backward doing each of the following:
- Downward block with reverse punch
- Rising block with reverse punch
- Inward block with reverse punch
- Outward block, jab with reverse punch
- Inward block, elbow strike and backfist
Then came the kicks:
- Double front snap kick
- Roundhouse kick
- Double roundhouse kick – two steps with two kicks, one kick low and the other kick high
- Front snap kick to the front, side thrust kick to the side and back kick to the rear
- Same as above but add roundhouse kick to the front and reverse punch as we step down
We finished class doing kata. For those that knew the kata, we did Jion, Bassai Dai, Tekki Shodan and Gojushiho Sho.
I am always sad to see exam time come to an end. Doing kihon and kata is something that I enjoy most.