Make those hips work – 5/24/11 – Tuesday Karate class
Sensei Noia is still having us work on exam drills. Today, he had the class work on sparring drills for the first 30 minutes or so. I have to sit out sparring for some time, until I get my Cohron’s disease under control, I did a bunch of basics and kata until I was able to join the class to do some more basics and kata.
Basics and kata on the side….
While I was off to the side, I went through most of the exam criteria even though I am not testing. It included moving forward and backward:
- downward block and reverse punch
- rising block with reverse punch
- inward block with reverse punch
- outward block with jab and reverse punch
- inward block, elbow strike and back fist
- back stance with knife hand block
- back stance with knife hand block, front snap kick and spear hand
- front snap kick and double front snap kick
- roundhouse kick and double roundhouse kick
- stepping across, in a horse stance, with side thrust kick and side snap kick
- roundhouse kick
- k with all the blocks and punching combinations, kicks
I finished with all of the Heian katas and Tekki Shodan.
Circle of doom….
I joined the class when the drills were really tough. One partner put their arm straight out to the side and other partner put their leg straight out like a front snap kick and made a circle motion around our partners outstretched arm. We did both clockwise and counter clockwise circles. We did the same drill again but this time, we put our leg out like a side thrust kick.
Since I was the odd man out, I had to do slow motion side thrust kicks by myself. Sensei Noia came over and stacked some pads up for me to kick over. I never kicked as high as I did tonight. My every day stretching seems to be paying off.
For the basics, we did the following five movements only forward and then the same backward in reverse order.
- moving forward triple punch
- moving forward with rising block and reverse punch
- moving forward with rising block and reveres punch
- moving forward with inward block, elbow strike and backfist
- moving forward with outward block, jab and reverse punch
Next came the kicking drills. We started with front snap kick to front, side thrust kick to side, back kick to rear, roundhouse to front and then reverse punch. Next came, front snap kick to front, side thrust kick to front. After those kicks, we did knife hand block, front snap kick and spear hand. We then finished up the class with one, full speed and power kata.
I missed the sparring part, it did look like fun, but I know that I will be back to it no time.